Running marathons in New Zealand, our beautiful Aotearoa, is an extraordinary experience that combines athletic challenges with the opportunity to connect with the breathtaking nature of our country. In addition to preparing physically for the races, it is essential to adopt healthy and sustainable habits, recognising the role that each of us play in preserving these magnificent landscapes.
New Zealand is known for its unparalleled natural beauty. While running in Aotearoa, you will have the privilege to explore stunning landscapes, from untouched beaches to trails amidst lush forests. Here are some of the most iconic destinations for marathons in New Zealand:
- Queenstown: Surrounded by majestic mountains, crystal-clear lakes, and challenging trails, Queenstown is a true paradise for runners. The famous Queenstown Marathon provides an unforgettable experience, allowing you to admire the grandeur of nature while pushing your limits along the shores of Lake Wakatipu.
- Wellington: The capital of New Zealand offers a variety of scenic coastal trails and urban routes with stunning views of the sea. The Wellington Marathon allows you to explore the city and make the most of the combination of urban architecture and natural landscapes.
- Tongariro National Park: Running in Tongariro National Park means venturing into a unique volcanic landscape, with imposing mountains and impressive craters. The Tongariro Marathon offers an incomparable athletic challenge in a truly spectacular setting.
- Lake Tekapo Race: This is brand new experience for most, in short, this experience will simply leave you speechless.
As runners, we have a special responsibility towards environmental preservation. Here are some ways to play an active role in looking after the incredible landscapes of Aotearoa:
- Practice "Leave No Trace": When running on trails, make sure to follow the "Leave No Trace" philosophy, taking all your trash with you and respecting the local flora and fauna. This will ensure that the area remains untouched for future runners to enjoy.
- Support local conservation organisations: Contribute to institutions and projects that work towards environmental conservation in New Zealand. Your help can make a difference in protecting unique ecosystems and supporting the sustainability of future race and marathon events.
- Educate yourself and inspire others: Increase your awareness of environmental issues and share your sustainable experiences in races. Encourage other runners to adopt healthy and sustainable habits, spreading the message of caring for our environment.
Running marathons in New Zealand is a journey that goes beyond physical challenge. By adopting sustainable habits, appreciating the natural beauty of Aotearoa, and taking an active responsibility for environmental conservation, you will be contributing to a healthier and more sustainable future for the next generation. Join this unique adventure and be part of the positive change.